Tuesday 30 October 2012

Review: Maybelline 24-Hour Colour Tattoo Eyeshadows (LE + Permanent line)


Hey there, remember me? Now I know its been a hell of a long time since I've written a blog post, but hopefully you can forgive my procrastination since I've got about a million posts lined up! Unfortunately, school has been killer this semester but I just wrapped up midterms and had halloween weekend to celebrate so hopefully I can quickly get back in the frequent-blogging swing.

Today I bring you an extremely overdue mini-haul and review of the Maybelline 24-Hour Colour Tattoo Eyeshadows. About a year ago, I was thrilled when I found out Maybelline was launching an affordable line of cream eyeshadows. Being a longtime fan of the MAC paint pot cream bases, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to experiment with more pigmented cream eyeshadows and spice up my collection. The permanent line that launched featured a range of dramatic colours, but I boringly opted for the more neutral shades, including Pomegranate Punk (burgundy maroon), Bad to the Bronze, Bold Gold and Tough as Taupe (only matte).


Packaging of Maybelline 24-Hour Colour Tattoo by Eyestudio

Recently, Maybelline launched a limited edition eight-piece 24-Hour Colour Tattoos for Fall that included four neutral shades, and four colourful shades. As per usual, this collection made a very delayed arrival to my lovely Northern habitat, and only included the neutral half of the shades (which didn't bother me that much at all). I was lucky enough to snap Barely BeigeGold Shimmer, and Rich Mahogany, and have since gotten much use out of all of them!

Clockwise from top left: Pomegranate Punk, Bad to the Bronze, Tough as Taupe,
Bold Gold, Rich Mahogany, Gold Shimmer, Barely Beige
Limited Edition Shades: Barely Beige, Gold Shimmer, Rich Mahogany

Below are the swatches of all seven shades that  own. Take note of how crazy pigmented these cream eyeshadows are! Each shade is completely wearable on its own, or as a base to any eyeshadow. And shout-out to their amazing staying power - I had to vigorously rub these off my arm with a makeup removing wipe.

From left to right: Pomegranate Punk, Bad to the Bronze, Tough as Taupe,
Bold Gold, Barely Beige, Gold Shimmer, Rich Mahogany
After having owned and used the limited edition shades for three weeks (and the permanent ones for almost a year), I think I'm qualified to deliver a very accurate review of this product. The verdict is in: and these are a god-send. Its very hard to convey how much I freaking love the shadows and abuse the crap out of them. I know they're suppose to be multi-purpose and can be used as bases for powder eyeshadows, but I almost always wear them alone, all over the lid, or combine two shades and blend one into the outer edge of my eye and crease. The shadows all have amazing colour payoff, and really last all day on my eye (often key for college students doing our makeup in the morning).
The best part about these shadows has to be the simplicity of applying them. I always simply use my fingers, even if I'm trying to combine two colours (i.e. Barely Beige on my lid and Bad to the Bronze in the crease). When I have a bit more time, I'll use a shading brush to just blend out in the crease, and voila, a little eyeliner and mascara and I'm out the door. I must warn that the colours do tend to set quickly on the eyelid, so immediate blending is essential. I would try to pick favourites but its difficult considering their quality level - though Bad to the Bronze, Tough as Taupe, and Barely Beige definitely get the most love since they're the most versatile and can each work so well on their own.

All in all, I'd say Maybelline really hit it out of the park with this one. The 24-Hour Colour Tattoo Eyeshadows can found at your local drugstore in America and the UK, though you might have to do a bit of searching before finding the limited edition shades (I went on a hunt for Barely Beige). These retail for around $8.99 CA in Canada, though prices will vary depending on your country or specific local promotions. There are an amazing range of colours to choose from, I just hope that in the future they add more matte shades. Now run out and get the Fall collection before its too late. You can thank me later.

Wishing everyone the best and much safety during these hurricaneous times,

Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment